Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Upholstery reminds me of something...

When first I read this post I couldn't remember exactly what that dress reminded me of, except that I think I might have worn it as a child in the 60s.

Yes, yes! I remember now -- Mom posing us kids one-by-one against a wall or the side of the car so she could capture a picture of us in our Easter clothes. It was a rare treat to have a new dress (especially as I was the youngest and generally wore everyone else's leftovers).

But I do now distinctly remember having more than one Easter dress that I downright despised.

Most of the time, my aversion developed from the itchy netting sewn into the wasteline to make the skirt fuller. However, there was one dress that I disliked for no particular reason. I'll bet that, if I were to dig through photos buried in the depths of time and space near La Grange, Texas, that I would see myself in a dress made from fabric that would have been better suited to covering a 1950s sofa rather than a 7-year-old girl.

The Spanish Inquisition couldn't have tortured me more than those Easter dresses did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

See...this is why I still need your fashion advice today. How many times have I chosen material that belongs on a sofa or drapes...not my hips!

goodwitch

Anonymous said...

Interesting...I had a dress in the late 80s that had a similar color and pattern. It wasn't upholstery, and it didn't suck. Oddly, most of my clothes are still from the late 80s. I freakin' HATE shopping, and now I have to go. Shoot me. Shoot me now.

Michelle Gardner said...

Hmmmm, perhaps that memory isn't so old after all. Perhaps, if I were to look through photos buried in a cabinet here in Peabody, I'd find a pix of a good friend dressed in upholstery. Hmmmm....